Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Food Pyramid Gets Fired

Yesterday the USDA gave the ever controversial Food Pyramid the boot and unveiled My Plate. I think in a lot of ways it is a huge improvement, but I still see some problems with it.

I feel the portion given to fruits and veggies should have been larger. And the ever present hold of the dairy industry over our food governing agencies is still haunting us. But I do appreciate the side comments on the actual page. It’s nice to see some clear suggestions to drink more water and less soda. As well as identifying high sodium and sugar contents in processed foods. Though it would be nice to see these comments larger and slightly more present.


A small step it may be, but at least it’s a step. I look forward to hearing the imminent reactions to the change. As of this morning the most common comment being expressed over the twittersphere is joy over the water vs. soda inclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment