Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Soda is the Devil

{Source}



I found this infographic while on vacation in North Carolina. Though none of this information comes as a great surprise to myself and I am sure the majority of my friends. The specific details are a little startling. And for perhaps it wasn’t that these harmful things were in soda, but that many of them also reside in other bottled drinks. Many sports drinks and specialty juice drinks contain sulfuric acid, and sodium benzoate. And any plastic bottle including water bottles contain BPA (bisphenyl-A).

I coincidently also read an article while in the great South East about the top foods that are to blame for obesity, cancers and other long term health problems……if you didn’t already guess it, the culprit is soda. Running a close second and third are French fries and potato chips.

So to all of you who drink soda, and even to those who only indulge occasionally. Don’t forget the risks. Not only to yourself but the risks that soda companies are putting on a large population of uneducated consumers, and children. Buying these products are putting money in the pockets of people who are working hard to make a buck without thinking about the long term detrimental results of the product they are pushing. I know I don’t want to support that kind of thinking, or that kind of corporate machine. Admittedly it is probably easier for me to criticize soda because I have never acquired a taste for it. But there are many more mom and pop soda companies popping up that don’t pump their product full of harmful additives if you are dying for a soda sip. However, I do understand the appeal of a guilty pleasure, so if you feel the need to indulge do some knowingly and try not to make it a habit for your own health and well being.

No comments:

Post a Comment